Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Page of Information





Welcome to the hodge-podge page of blog information!

I am going to start this blog with some disclaimers.
1.       I am an English major, however, I will not have perfect punctuation, spelling, or word choice. In fact, I plan on making up my own language as I write. I apologize if this bothers you. 
2.       I probably will not write consistently because I am not sure what my Internet status will be while in Chad.
3.       I have decided to begin blogging partly as an opportunity to journal my experience, and partly to keep my mother updated on my life. For the rest of you, thank you for being interested and I will not be offended if you don’t tune in religiously.

Here are some things you may want to know…

My position is in Moundou, Chad, in the Altonodji Village Orphanage. As of right now, I will be teaching English and Computer, and helping out any other way I can. I will be living with a host family and learning French throughout the year.

My mailing address is in N’Djamena, which is the capital, although I will be living 6 hours away in Moundou. This means I will not be getting my mail promptly, but that should not discourage snail mail! My country representatives said that only about 50 percent of packages actually get to them. If they need something sent from the States they ask for it in a flat rate envelope, which has a better chance of getting through the mail.
If you would like to send me something (hint hint), send it to this address:

Kelsey Ortman
B.P. 2006, N’Djamena
Chad

Pretty easy!

Second order of business. If you did not get a chance to contribute financially to my SALT term, I will have a Personal Drawing Account (PDA) that I can draw from while in Chad. It is from this fund that I can buy personal goods from the local market. This can be a chocolate bar, a new blanket, etc. If you would like to add to this account, mail a check to the MCC office with my name and “PDA” on the memo line.

MCC US
PO Box 500
Akron, PA 17501

So hopefully that is not the most entertaining blog I write, but if you forget an address at some point you can always come back to this page!

No comments:

Post a Comment